April 8, 2009

A little bit of R & R

Last weekend we went down to Monticello to spend a few days. We were suppose to be in Mesquite for Peyton's baseball, but that was cancelled. Since Josh already had the time off, which never ever happens, we decided to skip town.
Let me tell you a little about the place. Monticello is a little town with one stop light (no more that 5 yrs. old) and one grocery store. My moms house is about 2 blocks from the mountain, a half an hour from Canyonlands and an hour from Moab and Arches National Park. My graduatin class was like 68 people. It is kind of like the tv show Cheers, you go there and everyone knows your name (and your business). There have been so many changes over the last couple of years. So many people have sold their homes and have built nice new ones. People are even building on the mountain. To me that is a sacred place so it strikes me as odd that someone would build a nice house, not a cabin but house, on the mountain. Josh makes fun of us because we say we are going "downtown" when we go to the store or gas sation because it really is only about 5 blocks or so. You can see Main Street when you are at the end of my mom's street. I remember when Josh visited while we were dating and he asked me to turn on the fire. I couldn't stop laughing and told him to go and get some kindling and wood and I would teach him how to build one.
I love going down there. It is such a nice break from home where we are always on the go. Whenever I let my mom know that we are coming down she always say "oh good we can go 4wheeling or to Canyonlands or on a picnic" and my response is always "that all sounds really fun, but we (Josh and I) just want to sit and do nothing." The kids, of course, always want to be doing something. I'm glad that we went. It was such a good trip. It is nice to spend time with my mom, Jack, Josh and the kids. Very rarely do we just get to hang out and do nothing.

No comments:

Post a Comment