May 12, 2009

Celebration of pink

On Saturday morning bright and early Kylie and I joined Debby, Janeil, Emma & Ausitn for the Susan G. Komen Race for the Cure 5K walk. What an incredible experience!
My mom lost a very dear friend to breast cancer, a friend of the Jones family found 3 lumps on one side and chose to have a double mastectomy at the very young age of 29 and Janeil's mom is a breast cancer survivor. It is so true what they say that everyone knows someone in some way that has been effected by breast cancer.
To be a part of something so much greater than me was awesome! To be around women who fight every day for their lives and people who fight for their loved ones who have lost their battle was so inspiring and really gave me hope for my daughter and her daughter and those to come for generations after me.
I thought that it was great to see so many people young and old helping to make a difference in peoples lives. I like to think that maybe some of those people don't know anyone who has been diagnosed but do have daughters or nieces that one day may be and they are just getting a head start in supporting her. I really loved seeing fathers, husbands, brothers and sons out there walking for the women in theirs lives, some didn't even have women with them.
I can not wait until next year! Hopefully more ladies will join us in supporting this great cause. Thanks Janeil for inviting us to walk with you. I had the time of my life all rolled into about an hour. And thanks to Emma for helping us see it through a child's eyes and summing it up into one sweet phrase "it's a celebration of pink"!

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Jones girls!!!! That sounds like such an awesome experience. I would love to join you next year.

    ReplyDelete